Our House

Our House

Friday, August 30, 2013

Desk and Chair Makeover

My "little" (she is younger but taller) sister just re-did her bedroom and I was very proud when she came garage sale-ing with me to find some things for her room. We got really lucky and found an old sewing machine table to use as a desk for only $5! I had actually gone to the same yard sale the month before and they had the table for $40 then.


The next week I found this seemingly terrible and ugly chair in the trash for freeeee.


It was the perfect size for the desk and the wood was in good condition. My sister came over to my house and we re-did them together. For the desk we taped off some stripes and painted it with the light gray that she was using on her walls as well. I ordered 1 yard of fabric from Joann's for $12 and we used less than half a yard. 

First I cut a piece of batting to make the seat softer. I used to wrap the batting all the way around the seat cushion but sometimes that makes the seat cushion too wide for the chair so for this one I just cut it the size of the top.


I didn't take the old fabric off because it got covered by the batting anyway so would not show through. We stapled just once on each side first so we could check the front to make sure everything was straight and not too tight or too loose. 


Here is the nice little neat corner.


Re-upholstering the top was a little more complicated...And I was just winging it.


I covered it with batting too just to make it a nice smooth clean surface. 


I cut the fabric to size, wrapped it around, and cut slits in the back. I just used my hot glue gun to glue the fabric down on the back and sides and used staples and the hot glue gun on the bottom. 


And the after picture! We also spray painted the hardware with some Rustoleum Oil Rubbed Bronze spray paint that I already had.

Her wall is actually red this is just a bad cell phone picture...
We already had the paint and batting, the chair was free, the half yard of fabric was $6 and the desk was $5! The only way you can get an awesome and unique desk and chair for $11 is by refurbishing! And getting lucky with some great garage sale and trash finds...

No comments:

Post a Comment