Our House

Our House

Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Kitchen Renovation on a Budget

Kitchen before and after pictures are my favorite! In my own home and in other homes. Kitchens are such a key part of a home and a family so any updates can go a long way. We finished our kitchen renovation in February 2012 and I love it so much. It is exactly what we wanted and I am happy with all of the decisions that we made. See these posts for the full kitchen progress details: Demo, Cabinets, Appliances, Counters, and Backsplash.



We bought the door knobs for $3 each. We used the same ones on the doors and drawers. We donated the old green ones.

Those ceiling lights are nothing fancy but they were $20 for both at Lowes!!!


We bought those white stools at Ikea. We weren't planning on getting them but saw them on sale for $20 each because they were being discontinued. Except they were bright red! A little spray paint fixed that.


That blue cart is also from Ikea and I LOVE it. I asked for it for my birthday this past year HA. Note my stool so I can reach the upper shelves...


My husband picked out this faucet from Ikea. At $230 it was not my first choice but he is great about doing the dishes so I let him have it. I got to pick out the sink which was only $106 at Ikea.


I love this ceiling fan! I couldn't find it online but it is a Harbor Breeze and was $150 from Lowe's. We gave the old white one to a friend who helped us install the new one.


And here is the eat-in side of the kitchen. The table and chairs are antiques from my dad's side of the family that I refurbished.

We do still have the original floors... I don't love them but they are in okay shape and I like the color now that all the other green is out of the kitchen. I have Pinned a couple grout cleaning ideas but haven't been motivated to tackle that yet...

We (my husband) with some help from friends and family did everything in this kitchen except for plumbing. We did hire a plumber to put in a new garbage disposal and connect the dishwasher. We thought about DIYing this but since this was the beginning of our renovation projects I was nervous about tackling that ourselves.

The total amount we spent on the kitchen, including hiring the plumber, was $3500! I think it looks a lot different for that amount! And of course $2000 of that was on the appliances. I know kitchen renovations run a lot of people $30k so I am glad we were able to do ours for 10% of that. Keeping our original cabinets definitely helped!

Now if only I would spend more time in my lovely kitchen cooking...

2 comments:

  1. When we look into a total redo of our kithen, the estimates were from $20,000 to $30,000! That is why we painted our cabinets and did what we did too. In the end, we only put in approx $3,500 to our kitchen.

    Your kitchen looks great Alex! I love all that you have done to your house!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I saw your kitchen renovation too and I couldn't believe those were the same cabinets!

      Delete