Our House

Our House

Friday, October 18, 2013

Laundry Room Storage

My mom has 13 children...12 of which mostly live at home. So she does a lot of laundry. Like all day every day. According to my dad, 30-35 loads a week. So naturally she always needs storage and laundry room organization. She emailed me pictures of two laundry storage options that she found on Pinterest from BeingBrook and Infarrantly Creative and asked if Pascal could make them and he so nicely did. She wanted 2 that were 5 shelves high. Pascal did not read any tutorials but just from looking at the picture she sent could tell how to make them. Its basically just a big box so its not too hard. My mom also gave us a laundry basket that she already had to measure how big the shelves should be. 

Pascal bought 3 pieces of 3/4 inch plywood which cost a total of $110 which was the only cost for this project. Plywood was more money that I thought but still cheaper than other options and $110 doesn't seem too bad for 2 gigantic shelves. 

Pascal worked on this in our "garage" (note the carpet haha). Below are the cut pieces ready to go. Pascal also sanded the wood with an electric sander to help improve the plywood somewhat.


 Pascal used Liquid Nails (I have been calling it Hard as Nails but I think that's a nail-polish...) Heavy Duty Construction Adhesive to glue the pieces together and then followed it up with a finishing nail gun. He also added some screws to be extra safe since this will be living with 12 children. Screws can split plywood since it has layers so he carefully pre-drilled the hole first and then put the screws in.



Make sure that your angle is right and your wood is level!



Gigantic. 6 feet tall.
Once assembled Pascal also decided to add some extra pressure treated wood to the bottom just for some extra waterproofing since it was going in a laundry room. To make the basket supports, he used some 1x4's that we already had and cut them down the middle. He attached them with Liquid Nails and screws. Pascal then primed the shelves with our oil based primer that we already had. So they are ready to be painted if my mom wants to but I also think they look fine with just the primer. I like how you can see the wood grain still.

I am happy that my mom likes them and big thanks to my husband. My mom was planning on ordering matching baskets from Amazon but she found enough around the house for now.

The model.








No comments:

Post a Comment