Our House

Our House

Wednesday, October 9, 2013

My Version of a Fall Wreath

I have never really been a wreath person. I guess because a lot of wreaths that I have seen are old fashioned. However, now that Pinterest is around I see lots of fun wreaths for all year. I pinned this one by Cherished Bliss a while back because I really liked the texture with the popcorn kernels. I thought about using popcorn kernels to glue onto a letter "M" for the front door as I did the same thing last Christmas with red berries. I figured that would require less kernels than a whole wreath.

So I was semi-planning on buying a wood letter when I saw the below burlap canvas at Walmart for $5. I decided that I could just use the canvas to make my "M". I also picked up some black ribbon for a $1 and I already had the hot glue gun ($7 at A.C. Moore).


I first cut four pieces of black ribbon and laid them out to make a border. I originally just bought the ribbon to use to hang the "wreath" but I think the border helped. For the ribbon to hang it I measured out how long it should be for the "wreath" to be centered on the door and then stapled it to the back. 

Working hard...Don't mind the messy office. 

I had some popcorn kernels already because we have a hot air popper but they were pretty light in color and blended in too much with the burlap. I wasn't trying to leave the house at this point (already had pajamas on) and I am impatient so I wanted to get this project done. I also had microwave butter popcorn so I opened up a bag and washed the very buttery kernels off. They were much more yellow (because of the butter?) so I decided to use those. 

I drew a "M" with a sharpie to have some guidance and started by just gluing the kernels on the line. I then just kept adding kernels on until I ran out. I didn't want it to be too perfect. I might have burned myself a couple times. I might have a blister. 


After I was done there were lots of those hot glue strings all over that I just pulled off as best I could.


I have a love-hate relationship with hot glue guns

And that was it. It took about an hour for the whole project. I already had a wreath hook from my Christmas project last year so I used that. I did wonder if squirrels would try to eat it but I have a glass storm door so hopefully that keeps it safe. 



I am really happy with how it turned out! Maybe one day I will get enough courage up to actually make a real wreath but I love how much more seasonal my porch looks now with this easy project. 

No comments:

Post a Comment