Our House

Our House

Monday, October 21, 2013

Pumpkin Decorating with Paint

Pumpkin carving intimidates me. I don't think I have ever really done it. Maybe I am just not good at cutting things? I am really bad at cutting up my own food at dinner...

But the good news is that a lot of people paint their pumpkins now instead of carving. Here are our pumpkins that we made in 2012. Mine is the one on the left and Pascal's is on the right. Pascal is more of the artist so can free hand whatever but I tend to stick to basic shapes. I don't think we even had pumpkins our first year in the house, 2011. Terrible.


So I was excited to get started on our pumpkins this year. We have had them for almost two weeks sitting outside but just got around to painting them yesterday. The good news is though that they're not Halloween specific so we can keep them out through Thanksgiving. The other thing about painting pumpkins instead of carving is that they will last longer, till Thanksgiving, un-carved. 


I looked at a lot of pumpkins on Pinterest but there were so many choices and I couldn't decide what I wanted to do. So I ended up just picking some fall colors that I liked out of my craft paint collection and messed around with it till I was done. 

 

Pascal decided he wanted to paint a mustache. They have been the cool thing for a while now and they don't seem to be going away. Since he is an artist he was able to just free hand one without tracing anything. He used a sharpie at first and then a paint marker. He did stubble first just for fun and and then filled it in.

 

And that was it. Nice quick afternoon project while watching the Redskins win!



Now I have to think of another idea for a pumpkin decorating contest at work...

2 comments: