Our House

Our House

Friday, August 23, 2013

Color Trend-Coral Chair

I love coral. Or salmon. Or whatever you want to call it. I see it everyone now. I even have a coral purse. So when I got a coupon from Valspar for a free test pot of paint I picked out the one I had been eyeing, Sonora Rose. Still not knowing what I would use it for.

I had this chair sitting around for a while. It was my grandma's office chair until she replaced  it with one we found at a yard sale in the spring. She was going to throw it away as the seat was not very comfortable so I took it.


The chair really wasn't bad as is. In a retro/mid-century modern kind of way. But being me I wanted to make it "better". So I decided to use my coral paint on it. I removed the seat, used a foam brush to paint it with oil based primer (See this post for primer details), and then used a foam brush to add two coats of the coral paint. Finally I sealed it with polycrylic. I did not tape off the top cushion because I wasn't too concerned about getting paint on it.

I used some HGTV fabric that I had leftover from another project for the cushions. It was $10 a yard, on sale, and I used a bit over half a yard. Its actually outdoor fabric so is a bit more durable. I reinforced the seat with three layers of batting before adding the fabric.




The top part was  trickier as I have never done something like that. I sprayed the cushion with spray adhesive to help the fabric stay in the correct position. I stapled it on the bottom since you can't see that part. For the edges, that are touching the wood, I used a glue gun! A little messy but it got the job done. 



I actually didn't have a big enough piece of fabric leftover so I had to use two pieces for the top. I am afraid of sewing machines. I used one when I was younger but they just intimidate me. I am trying to work myself up to learning how to use one again. In the meantime I used iron-on sewing tape to connect the two pieces! You can see the seam here.


I love this chair! I really didn't make it to match anything I just loved the colors. So for now it is in the guest bedroom. 

2 comments:

  1. Alex, I am so proud of you! It's beautiful! And there is nothing at all wrong with using fusible tape, I do!

    ReplyDelete