Our House

Our House

Saturday, August 10, 2013

Turning an Ikea Wardrobe Into a Walk-In Closet

When we started our house search I KNEW I wanted a walk-in closet. Its not just that I have a lot of clothes...My husband has a lot of clothes too! Also I HATE ironing so I wanted to be able to have enough room to hang most of my clothes up instead of using a dresser.

So this definitely factored into our decision to expand our master bedroom so we would have room for our walk-in. Originally we planned on building a wall to separate the bedroom from the closet. But it seemed kind of silly that we were knocking one wall down just to build a new one a few feet over. My husband suggested the Pax wardrobe system from Ikea. After exploring that option further I realized that the main cost for these closets was the doors! While there are a lot of cool options for doors you can save a lot of money without them.

We picked out two birch wardrobes to place side by side and added two shelves for shoes and four rods for clothes. The total for all of this was $265.


The walk-in closet is on this side of the bedroom

The next step was putting the wardrobes together which I won't take responsibility for. We put them up so that the back was facing out into our bedroom. Since they weren't flat against the wall my husband made sure to safely connect the two and then connect the one against the wall. We left one side open for a "doorway".

After putting the two wardrobes up with the back to the room and the front facing the inside of the closet and the window we needed something for the empty wall of the bedroom. We went to Home Depot and bought some of these white wire shelves. You are able to pick out whatever pieces you want so we got three shelves and two more rods for hanging clothes. We only spent about $50 and then added two $10 shoe racks.

Here are some pictures of the finished inside of the closet. Sorry for the tight pictures it was hard to get a good angle!

When you first walk into the closet

Wooden Blind is from Ikea





Light is from Ikea


Overall we love our closet and are able to hang a lot of clothes in there. I still rotate some of my seasonal clothes but that is just to make things a little more organized. I think this solution worked out great and using the Ikea wardrobes was much easier and led to much more organization than if we had built the closet from scratch. 

No comments:

Post a Comment