Our House

Our House

Monday, August 26, 2013

Art for Non-Artists

I might know how to "do crafts" but that does not mean that I am an artist and know how to paint. I like to paint but I do better on a piece of furniture than a canvas. However one day when I was bored (Yes, I do crafts in my free time) I decided to make my own art for the living room with a canvas that I bought on sale. I found a quote that I liked online and picked out some of my favorite colors from my craft paint. Just plain craft paint nothing fancy. 

I painted a chevron pattern with some small brushes rotating colors. I didn't make a template or anything because I wasn't worried about it being perfect. I intentionally made the lines different sizes so it didn't matter if it was perfect.

I went over a second time with another coat. I felt like I picked a lot of dark colors so I added some silver metallic craft paint to brighten it up some.



After my paint was dry it was time to add the quote. I messed around on Microsoft Word until I got the letters the font and size I wanted. And then, since our office was in array and our printer wasn't set up AND I have no patience, I just held a piece of paper up to the computer screen and traced. Sooo this would probably be easier if you just printed the quote. 

I then cut the letters out and traced them on to the painting with a pencil. I filled the letters in with white craft paint using a square paint brush similar in size to my letters which made it surprisingly easy considering I don't have a steady hand. I also did two coats of the white paint.


An artist I am not but it works in my own home where it has personal meaning and pride behind it. And it only cost me a couple bucks for the canvas, a free "stencil" and craft paint that I already had.

No comments:

Post a Comment