Our House

Our House

Monday, September 9, 2013

Where We Live

Besides our bedroom, we spend the majority of our day to day in our living room. On the couch. Everyday when I get home from work I am on that couch. Unless I am painting furniture...We even eat in the living room almost every single day. Scandalous, I know. I love our living room which is a good thing since we spend so much time living in it. It is the most finished room in the house, after the kitchen.

Here is the main area of our living room. I will do a tour of the rest of the room in different posts. 

I need to move the chevron painting down...There used to be a larger picture there.


Most of the furniture in here we bought shortly after we moved in. Before I yard saled/craigslisted/thrifted/repurposed. 

We bought the Kivik couch and chaise from Ikea the day after we moved in while we still had the moving truck. We were originally planning on getting the same covers so we could make it into a sectional but decided to have the chaise separate. I think it would be more functional/comfortable to attach it now but I like having the chaise in the blue material. The couch cover is the Teno Light Grey and is more durable and is still in perfect condition after two years. You can see I need to adjust the cushion covers a bit...The chaise cover is machine washable and the couch cover is dry clean only.

The chaise color also helped us pick out our paint color. We wanted something greyish-blue. It turned out a little more blue then we originally planned but we like it. It is Skyline Steel by Behr in an eggshell finish.

I bought the end tables and coffee table from Target online (on sale of course) a couple months after we moved in. They are pretty good quality and are actually solid wood. I like that they are black and seem a bit Pottery Barn-esque. Now that I am over the whole matchy-matchy thing I want to get new ones...The end tables are bigger than I really need and I don't need storage anymore now that we have the built-in bookcases. Also I tend to just stick things under there when I am "cleaning". I would like a new coffee table too but am hesitant to get anything fancy/nice since we use it like a dinner table...

The chair is also from Target... Its another thing that I am "over" but it works for now.

The lamps I loveeee. Because they are new :) It took me two years to find the right lamps! I bought these lamps in black originally from Target literally an hour before we were having our first dinner party. They were way too small but we had them for two years. I bought at least 3 different pairs of lamps that I brought home but then ended up returning. I would go to Target, TJ Maxx, and HomeGoods at least once a month in the past year looking. My budget was $60 total which was hard. Why are lamps so expensive! I finally found these Nate Berkus lamps with Threshold shades at Target. I had seen the lamps a while ago but they were $50 a piece just for the base. They finally went down to $25 each! With the shades and bases I spent $80 but then I sold the old lamps on Craigslist for $20 so I still made my budget!

The pillows are from Target, TJ Maxx, and Ikea. The big clock was a TJ Maxx find for $20. The pictures to the right of the window were made by my husband. And lastly our lovely window shades! This took a while to find. We wanted shades instead of just decorative curtains because you can see in this window from the street. Also our TV is in here so we didn't want any glare from the window. I was worried that due to the size we would have to get custom shades and that would be expensive...But Amazon came to the rescue and we bought these faux wood blinds for a perfect fit. 

2 comments:

  1. It's much nicer than the futon couch and Air Force Academy blue trunk (used as a coffee table) we started our life together with ;)

    You have wonderful and frugal taste. It's a great combination!

    ReplyDelete