Our House

Our House

Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Credenza-My Favorite Word

Yesterday I started the living room tour with the couch where I spend all my time...Today I would like to introduce you to the entry way which has my favorite piece of furniture (so far). The credenza!



Our front door opens right into the stairs and the living room. This wall by the stairs (and the door to our bedroom) was empty for almost two years. I knew that I wanted to get an entry way table but could not find one I really loved. I looked at a lot online but most I saw were pretty boring/standard and $100 plus. I pinned and pinned but didn't want to spend more than $100. I finally found this credenza at a yard sale in May this year and my entry way could finally come together! It is a credenza. Not an entry way table, buffet, console, sideboard or any of those lesser words. I like credenza better-it seems fancier. Pascal even calls it a credenza.

I had already started the gallery wall not too long after we moved in. It is obviously not done. I have just been adding to it slowly when I find a frame that I like and is a good price. I added scrapbook paper and fabric to some of the frames for extra color. Besides the tray and wine bottles, I also have a Nate Berkus lamp that matches my two white ones with a light teal Threshold lampshade (both from Target $40 total), and a small metal box for keys that my husband made in his welding class.



But back to the real star...the credenza. Here is the before picture...I am bad at remembering pictures so I had already started disassembling it when I remembered to take these with my phone.



I bought this at a yard sale for $35, which is my most expensive yard sale purchase. However I knew it was what I had been looking for for two years. So somehow I fit it in the back of my car and brought it home.

It was a nice cabinet to start with but not my style. The doors were in good condition and solid wood. The top and sides had some scratches. To start out I used some wood filler to smooth out the deeper scratches on the top and then sanded. I am not a good sander so I always have my husband check it as I tend to give up too quickly. After sanding I used the same process as with this dresser.

I took my time with this piece since I knew I would have it for a long time and that everyone would be able to see it right when they walked in my house. I rolled on the primer and used a small foam brush for the doors. The doors took foreveerrr to prime and paint. Thankfully once I was on the painting stage I was able to set up the doors in the living room and paint during a Bones marathon. I did two coats of the gray paint. It is actually the same paint that we used in our office, which is visible from the living room. It is Wet Pavement in a satin finish by Valspar. On the office walls it looks a bit darker. I think it is the perfect gray and actually looks gray-gray not blueish, purplish, or greenish.

After painting I waited a day and then applied polycrylic with a foam brush to protect the finish. I did two coats of this. I usually just do one on a lesser used piece. Before putting the poly on I did consider using a glaze, like I did with this table, to bring out the detail on the doors. I think that would look really great but for my room I decided I wanted more of a crisp clean look so I left it alone.

Finally we re-attached the hardware. I briefly considered replacing it and then was going to spray paint it. I am so glad I just left it alone! I think it works with the gray and I can always paint it later if I want. The credenza was actually missing one drawer knob when I bought it so I bought two new ones at the store and rotated the old and new. You can barely tell the difference. Buying those two knobs was my only cost besides the $35 as I had all the other supplies.


You can see in the back where the previous owner cut out a whole for their TV cables. Doesn't bother me but it could always be patched. I may paint the inside eventually and would also like to add a shelf for more storage. Yes those are all tea candles. Just stocked up on all the different scents at Ikea. 


After picture again! Love my credenza. And I love how paint can completely change the tone of a piece of furniture.



3 comments: