Our House

Our House

Friday, September 13, 2013

Styling DVD's

Having your DVD's on display can make a living/family room seem very man cave-ish. I bought my husband a DVD rack (from Amazon) before we got married which I should have put more thought into because it then came along with him to our house...It wasn't ugly but not a great piece of furniture.


So it sat in the corner of our living room all alone. Too small for the space and not really adding any interest to the room.
 Enter our built in bookcases. I had considered moving the DVD's onto the built-ins either on display or hidden in storage boxes. However once we built the bookcases we had this leftover shelf that used to hold my craft supplies (or attempt to hold). I really like this shelf from Ikea and it was only $20! Once we didn't need it in the office anymore we thought about moving it to the "garage" (the spare room we use for storage). However I liked it too much to just hide it in there and it was in perfect shape. So I decided to try it as a DVD shelf. We may eventually hide the DVD's for a more grown-up living room (when we are grown-ups?) but for now I like this solution.


I may center it on the wall at some point but since I am just testing it out for now I positioned it around the existing pictures. I think the key to incorporating your movies into your non man cave-ish room is to add some accessories for decor. I also stacked the movies in different directions to change it up some.


Yes we own all of The Fast and the Furious series. Don't judge.
I just used some accessories that I had around the house. I am running out of miscellaneous "stuff" now that I have two shelves in the living room and the built-in's in the office to fill... My favorite item is the movie reel from the library that I got for 50 cents at a yard sale!


And that is how I turned our movies into a decorative item in our living room. It works for now and it was a free solution so it doesn't have to be permanent. 

1 comment:

  1. I love the movie reel...you are so creative! Great job.

    ReplyDelete