Our House

Our House

Friday, September 6, 2013

Closet Turned Vanity

After our bathroom renovation we were left with an empty closet as part of our bathroom. We did not need anymore closet space plus that would make the bathroom look smaller if we had a closet inside of it. For a time we thought about making it into a standalone shower and then just having the tub next to it. However we decided that it would be too small for a shower.

I think it was actually my husband who suggested using it for a vanity space. I know, such a nice husband.

The light is from Ikea for $20. The mirror is from Ikea in the As-Is section for $10. The "vanity" is also from Ikea. I didn't need a whole traditional vanity as I was able to organize everything in the open with out it. So looking for an inexpensive solution I picked up these two cabinet doors in the As-Is section at Ikea for under $5 for both. There are bookshelf brackets at the back holding them up. They are not supporting anything too heavy and its not like I sit on the vanity. I use the bottom shelf of the vanity for my hair dryer, straightener, and other hair accessories.


I had some pinspiration for my jewelry and makeup organization (See here, here, and here).

I had the hooks already and I bought the dowel for less than a $1 at the craft store. I could have painted the dowel and hooks but I thought the wood/metal tones matched the sink vanity. For the make up board I bought that cookie sheet at the dollar store. I decided I liked it as is but I can always dress it up later when I get bored. I bought a roll of magnets that were already pre-glued. Now almost a year later some of the magnets have fallen off the makeup. Sooo, use a hot glue gun would be my recommendation.


I walked around my house looking for something to fit my bracelets and found this candlestick that was free at a yard sale. The small bowl was made by one of my lovely friends and the glass jar is from an old candle. The ceramic egg rack is from Amazon and was only $10 when I bought it (I got the inspiration from YoungHouseLove). It looks great and works great and I highly recommend it.


I made this art with some canvases and the paint from our bedroom. I just picked two quotes I liked and put stickers down. I painted over the stickers and then pulled them off. So easy. I mod podged over the whole canvas after.


My vanity chair was given to me by my great aunt. I spray painted it with metallic silver paint and then re-upholstered it.

And now a year later it looks like this...I found this fabric with bobby pins by accident on Spoonflower and had to get it. Spoonflower's fabric is a bit more than I like to spend but you can't beat it for unique fabric or even DIY fabric! It was about $10 to do the seat. 



And that is the end of the bathroom renovation (for now) and the completion of my very own vanity. A year later I can say it still works for me and I actually keep it pretty organized. Which says a lot. It is helpful for me to have everything in view with its own spot instead of a big cabinet where I will just lose things. 

No comments:

Post a Comment