Our House

Our House

Friday, September 27, 2013

From Trash to Treasure-Dresser

One night while driving home from work after dark I saw a dresser in someone's trash...I backed up the car and checked it out. Then dragged my husband out of the house to help me put it in the car. Here is the beauty.


It was painted different colors on different sides...And it had obviously been painted a couple times. I found some green on there. The top was also textured and there were no knobs. But I liked the unique size and UM it was FREE.

I decided to make this dresser match my first dresser that I made over. First I sanded down the weird texture on the top. I normally wouldn't prime since it was already painted but since it was kinda a hot mess I just primed over the whole thing with my oil based primer. Primer was also a must due to the dark color I needed to cover up. I used a roller for the primer and then sanded. I ended up just using a good paint brush for the paint coat. It was just easier and the piece isn't that big. I used the leftover paint I had from my other dresser. 

I wanted to do a stencil but not the same chevron one that I did before. I found a quatrefoil stencil for free online and I used my method of tracing it right off the computer screen and then cutting out the stencil...Tracing it on the dresser drawers took a long time. And then doing two coats with a tiny brush took forever. But it was so worth it. Afterwards I also used the same glaze that I used for my table to distress the dresser. Since it wasn't in good shape underneath the paint I didn't want to just sand it down to distress.

I did have to buy knobs but the knobs were a total of $20 which was my only cost for the dresser. And here are the beautiful after pictures!






I normally don't paint the inside of drawers but they had some over-spray from old green spray paint. I painted the sides and then I used some scrapbook paper that I already had and mod podged it on the bottom of the drawers. I think it makes for a fun surprise. 

I think the dresser looked great in our room and with the other dresser. However after a couple months I decided that we didn't really need it. We already have two large dressers so did not need this small one. I ended up just selling it on Craigslist. It was hard to let it go but someone else who actually needs it can enjoy it now. I might have cried. But I had fun making it and I still have the stencil if I want to use it again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment