Our House

Our House

Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Easy DIY Tray

I think that trays are an essential accessory to any room. You can use them for stylish and practical storage. Jewelry, remotes, books, or just for decoration. I have a yellow one on my credenza that I am using for decoration and a red one on my coffee table for remotes and coasters. 


I got the idea to make my own tray after pinning this project from My Blessed Life. I have since made several as gifts. I first bought a wooden tray from the craft store. They are at Hobby Lobby, Michael's and A.C. Moore for around $5. I bought mine with a coupon. I had all other supplies so my total cost for this project was $3.

It would have been quicker to spray paint but I used the same yellow paint that's in the office. I didn't prime it or anything just brushed it on. I have also used regular craft paint on other wood trays that I have made. After painting I used mod podge to add scrapbook paper on the inside of the tray. I had to use two pieces so I picked a piece from my collection that already had lines on it to make it less obvious. I put mod podge on the bottom and top of the paper and also put some over top the whole tray. 


My paper did get wrinkled in some spots so I was glad that I had a patterned piece of paper so you couldn't really tell. I think using card-stock instead of plain scrapbook paper would be better as it is thicker. Or maybe I shouldn't have used so much mod podge...

This was a great quick and easy project and is perfect because anyone can customize it to their own home.


No comments:

Post a Comment