Our House

Our House

Friday, September 20, 2013

Colorful 5K

Apparently getting paint all over myself at home is not enough...So I finally did one of the color runs that are very in right now. There are a couple different ones but that one I did was the Color In Motion 5K. Now the "color" part of the run is actually dyed cornstarch that gets thrown at you by race staff and other race participants.

It was my friend Kiersten's idea and I even found a Groupon to help with the cost. My husband and I did it with Kiersten and Jake which definitely made it more fun.

I am not a runner like my dad and I haven't done a 5K since I was 13. But this one was a great one to do because it is a fun run. It is not timed, there were lots of families, and a lot of people walked.

It was a beautiful fall day last weekend in DC and there were a ton of people out for the race. Including a lot of people with fun costumes/outfits. We all wore sunglasses or hats to try to keep the color dust out of our eyes. Kiersten bought us all fun striped socks.



We got there an hour and a half before the race which helped with parking and also in being one of the first waves to start. We were nice and clean when we started.The event gave us the shirts with our registration.


You get a lot of color on you during the race but also after. That is when most people use their color packets that you are given. For the "after party" there was a big crowd, a stage with people dancing, and a DJ.




I brought towels with us for the car on the ride home...Our shirts looked really cool after we were done. And I wanted to keep them that way. The event itself recommends soaking in vinegar, ironing, then washing. However after reading around on the internet it seemed that this was met with limited success by real people. Either the color came out after washing or the colors just looked faded and blended together. So after agonizing over it (this is serious stuff people) I finally decided just to wash them. I didn't add any stain remover or anything. And afterwards....completely clean. There was one blue spot on my shirt so I just sprayed that with Shout and washed again. 



I am sad that I didn't get to preserve the color in the shirts. But at least we have pictures and I think we will probably be more likely to wear the shirts again now then if we tried to keep the color and it just turned brown.

I would recommend doing a color run to anyone and I would do it again!

No comments:

Post a Comment