Our House

Our House

Monday, September 30, 2013

Changing Exterior Lights for $1

We have basic tarnished gold exterior lights at our house. They aren't anything exciting and are not the shape I would pick if I could choose. But changing them out is not a cost or project that I want to take on right now. Soo I decided to paint them...I mean, I paint everything else, right? Now I have seen various people use spray paint but that would require protecting a lot of surfaces or taking the light off the house as I am a very messy painter. Instead, I went to the craft store and found some metallic craft paint. It was Martha Stewart's metallic multi-surface acrylic craft paint. I had a coupon so it was about a $1. I used one bottle for two lights.


So this is an easy project but kind of boring. Which is why it is taking me so long to actually finish all of the lights. I did one last year and one a couple months ago and I still have some more to do. I just used a small paint brush and put on three thin coats. I had to stand on a stool and my weak arms got tired haha. I did listen to music put it took over an hour for one light. Which isn't really bad. 

And here is a before and after.

Now I don't think this paint was meant for this project or outside...However I will stay it is still in perfect condition. The one I did last year is under the porch so it is more protected from the elements. The one I did three months ago is out in the open and still looks like new. So I don't expect the paint to stay perfect for years but for a $1 update I will take whatever I can get. 

1 comment: