Our House

Our House

Friday, November 29, 2013

Family Room and No-Sew Curtains

We are very lucky to have a large addition off of the back of our house with beautiful peaked ceilings. It looks like a log cabin. We don't use this room very much since we spend most of our time in the living room where the TV is but it is good for company and for when we put our Christmas tree up! The room doesn't have heat or air conditioning which is the other reason we don't use it that often and keep it closed off...It does have fan and a gas fire place though. When we do use the fire place it heats most of the downstairs!


One thing I don't like about the family room is all of the wood paneling. I think the real wood on the ceiling is beautiful but not the stuff on the walls. I really really really want to paint it but my husband likes the cozy log cabin feel of the room. We even had a vote at our house warming party and I lost! Shocking. So he agreed that we can keep the wood paneling for 5 years and then paint it. Soo 3 more years to go. In the meantime I am trying to embrace it and use warm colors in the room.


We have not spent too much money on decor in this room. The orange chair is from a yard sale, and the couch and two trunks were passed down to us. We DIYed the coffee table and the curtains. 

I did not sew the curtains but it was still a long project which took me about a month while watching TV last winter. I used hemming tape to hem the curtains after seeing that on Young  House Love (remember, sewing machines scare me). The fabric I bought for the curtains is really thick upholstery fabric which made it harder to use the iron-on hemming tape. However I think the thick curtains help keep the cold/heat out/in and we keep them closed most of the time. Since there are three windows and two doors in the family room that I wanted curtains on it made sense to DIY them due to all the unique sizes and the expense of curtains. Even DIYing them ended up being expensive though because the fabric I wanted was about $17 a yard. I also didn't really understand at first that curtains should be wider than the actual window so I did not buy enough fabric. And then the fabric was discontinued. Pascal came to the rescue and suggested layering with white fabric. The white fabric was only a couple dollars and I think my mistake worked out in the end! We bought the curtain rods and clips on Amazon.  







 

No comments:

Post a Comment